Picnics are perfect to enjoy the great outdoors with family and friends but creating the perfect basket of food to take can be stressful.
With that in mind, at Gin Gin & Dry, we have incorporated a tasty selection of food and put together some easy snack ideas for picnics.
Easy Snack Ideas for Picnics
Packing for a picnic doesn’t have to be tricky. We have created a selection of ideas with dried fruit, a few sweet options and even getting creative in the kitchen, to help you relax and enjoy your next picnic.
Fruit and Cheese Platter
Taking fresh fruit on a picnic may seem like a good idea but can lead to difficulties in cutting up the fruit or even finding your fruit bruised when you arrive.
Dried fruits pre-packed in a container are easy to assemble on a platter when you arrive at the picnic spot, and is a perfect way for you to enjoy the fruit.
Throw a few different cheeses in the bag along with your dried fruit selection and you have an array of delicious options to choose from.
Chocolate and Fruit Platter
Sometimes a picnic needs the extra element of a sweet fix as well as fruit. You can put together a dried fruit platter and add a few treats on the side such as dark chocolate banana, dark chocolate fig or even our dark chocolate ginger.
If you want to add yoghurt for an element of sweetness, you may want to try mixing shredded fruits into unsweetened yoghurt. It is a perfect way to jazz up the yoghurt, sweeten it with natural fruit and enjoy a unique yoghurt blend.
Make your own
If you have a little bit of time on your hands and enjoy making your own food, you may want to try these things to take on your picnic.
- Mango balls – like apricot balls
but made with mango instead.
- Muesli bars – make your own with dried fruit.
Recipe – Dried Green Apple and Cinnamon Muffins
Shredded green apple and cinnamon muffins are divine and is a fantastic treat for your picnic basket. Use your favourite plain muffin recipe and add a cup of shredded green apple with a teaspoon of cinnamon, or alternatively adapt a green apple and cinnamon muffin recipe that uses our shredded green apple. Below is our favourite receipe;
- 300g (2 cups) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 ½ cups of Gin Gin and Dry Shredded Green Apple (or red apple if you prefer sweeter)
- 125g (3/4 cup) raisins and/or almond slivers for crunch. Walnuts and pecans also go well with green apple.
- 125g butter, melted, cooled
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 180ml (3/4 cup) milk
- Preheat oven to 200C or 180C fan-forced. Prepare a 12 muffin tin with or without paper as you choose.
- Sift the plain flour, baking powder and cinnamon together into a large bowl. Stir in the brown sugar, shredded apple and raisins/and or nuts until well combined.
- Whisk together the butter, eggs and milk until well combined. Combine with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over stir.
- Spoon mixture into muffin tins until ¾ full and bake for 20 mins. Brush with melted butter and add a light dusting of cinnamon on top.
Order Your Products Today
Gin Gin & Dry are your team of passionate gourmets and dedicated dried fruit wholesalers in Australia.
Locally grown fruit and a unique drying process, Gin Gin & Dry have no added preservatives, colouring or additives and are the perfect healthy snack alternative.
Check out our online store and take advantage of flat rate shipping right across Australia.